Wooden Spoon by Chef Sandy Daza Katipunan: Restaurant Review



photo from selwynuy.com

This restaurant along Katipunan Avenue is very unassuming. It can easily go unnoticed, tucked between two other establishments with screaming boardsigns. It is this simplicity that makes Wooden Spoon popular among Pinoy diners, because really, even after all that burgers and pasta and kimchi you had, you will still crave for that food you grew up with.

My foodie partner and I went on a Sunday and ordered Crispy Crab Pancit, Salmon Belly Sinigang, Shrimp Pampango, and Rice. They served the sinigang first, I assumed it's because they categorized it as soup (thus, served first). I really wanted to try it with rice but they served it much later, even after I told the waiter to serve the rice already. But, I must say, trying the sinigang without rice was a refreshing experience for me. I was so used to eating sinigang with rice, that I forgot how sinigang tasted on its own.

Salmon Belly Sinigang at Php 245.00 / Good for two
The Salmon Belly Sinigang was good. Ingredients were basic: tomato, onion, kangkong, and finger chilis. And of course, the salmon belly. There was a balance between sour and spicy. My stomach did not have a negative reaction with the sinigang, unlike the sinigang from other restaurants which are too sour you can expect to have hyperacidity attack immediately after the first spoonful.

The Salmon Belly Sinigang was perfect with Patis



Next served was the Crab Pancit. Said to be an original recipe by Chef Sandy's mother Nora Daza and a french chef, this dish tasted way better than how it looked.

Crispy Crab Pancit at Php 165.00. Good for two or three
This was supposed to be an appetizer (according to the menu) but they served it after the sinigang. I know it's shallow, but it really confused me. Anyway, the crispy crab pancit was deep-fried sotanghon noodles topped with creamy sauce made of crab meat, crab eggs (aligue), and egg. The presentation (plating) was underwhelming, since you know, it's supposed to be made by THE Chef Sandy Daza of Del Monte Kitchenomics fame (which I followed/watched as a kid) so I really didn't understand why the food reminded me of a baby's puke. But once I tasted the pancit, all the negative feelings I had toward the food evaporated. The pancit was soooo good.

It's perfect as an appetizer - which means that you only have to eat a small portion of it. The crab pancit was delicious but it was also creamy and savory that eating too much could be nakakaumay. Also because it's heavy on the stomach and when you have eaten a lot of this, you'd have no more room for other dishes!

Lastly, we were served with Shrimp Pampango and the rice (finally!).

Shrimp Pampango @ Php 225.00 / Good for two or three

Bite-sized shrimps which were breaded and deep-fried, this dish came with a positively sinful dip made of aligue and some other ingredients I cannot figure out but would love to know so I can make my own version of this at home!
Miracle Dip!
I must say that without this dip, the breaded shrimp would be just an ordinary dish. The dip was an explosion of salty, sweet, and savory tastes. If there's one dish that Wooden Spoon should be known for, it should be this!
Wooden Spoon Katipunan is almost always full-packed so don't come super hungry and during lunch or dinner hour, you will only get frustrated as waiting time can be quite long. Also, be sure to bring cash because they don't accept credit/debit cards.

Kain na!

Ratings:
1. Food Quality - 4.5 (out of 5) Shrimp Pampango is the king!
2. Price - 3 (out of 5) pretty reasonable, considering its famous owner and  its reputation. You and your date can enjoy a good meal for Php 300.00 (ex. 1 Shrimp Pampango + 2 rice + 7 % service charge).
3. Ambience - 2 (out of 5) too cramped for big groups, comfort room too close to dining area, spiral staircase could use a makeover - also don't go upstairs if you are wearing short skirts because everyone below can and will see your vajayjay!

Wooden Spoon is located at 329 A Katipunan Road, Loyola Heights, Quezon City.




sarah Web Developer

Freelance wanderer.

No comments:

Post a Comment