Iloilo's Batchoy



First thing my friends and I ate after arriving in Iloilo was its famous batchoy! Batchoy is a noodle soup made of pork organs (liver, spleen, kidneys and heart) crushed pork cracklings (or chicharon), vegetables, shrimp, beef loin, shrimp broth, chicken stock and round noodles or miki.

Not so yummeh in the tummeh

We're supposed to go straight to the port from the airport but we kinda got lost so we stayed for a few hours in Iloilo instead. We ate at Deco's, the best batchoy restaurant in town, we were told. But we all got disappointed when the batchoy was finally served. The soup was not hot enough and it was a tad too sweet. The noodle was undercooked and the egg was crumbly, which I suspect is because it's a leftover from the day before. I ended up giving my batchoy to my friend who happily finished it off - not because it's delicious, but because she was hungry and she had no choice.

Not willing to leave Iloilo without finding the best batchoy in town, we scoured the streets of Jaro looking for Ted's - the second best batchoy restaurant in town, our contact said. And at last, we got to experience the best tasting batchoy before leaving for Manila!


Ted's batchoy tasted just the way I like all my noodle soup to be: a bit salty, with a hint of calamansi, noodle is firm, and soup is scalding hot!



sarah Web Developer

Freelance wanderer.

No comments:

Post a Comment